Path To Glory

Full Version: Sony gives up
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Sony has finally given up on its PC arm. Not that anyone really notices it anymore.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-26062084
PC sales are dropping year after year and Apple are taking the lion's share of the profits (more than Asus, Acer, Lenovo, HP and Dell combined). I'm only surprised that Sony didn't shit-can their PC business earlier.

Jessibelle1992

(02-06-2014, 02:08 PM)h00f3d Wrote: [ -> ]PC sales are dropping year after year and Apple are taking the lion's share of the profits (more than Asus, Acer, Lenovo, HP and Dell combined). I'm only surprised that Sony didn't shit-can their PC business earlier.

Source? Apple thing is believable because almost every art person I know has an apple for the adobe suite and other creative programs. But PC sales dropping year after year sounds like utter bollocks.
More people are probably building their own

Jessibelle1992

Oh right I didn't think of it like that...yeah I always build my own so I suppose my purchases don't count towards "PC sales"
(02-06-2014, 08:05 PM)Jessibelle1992 Wrote: [ -> ]Oh right I didn't think of it like that...yeah I always build my own so I suppose my purchases don't count towards "PC sales"

"PC" doesn't mean a PC anymore, it means a laptop, generally it's either 10 year old piece of shit from comet, gamers or people that need a powerful computer that use desktops nowadays, everyone who buys a "PC" will buy a laptop
yeah i heard about this a couple days ago. the ceo of razer posted on twitter "sony is about to sell their viao division.. should i buy it for razer? lolno, aint nobody got time for that" lol, was funny.
(02-06-2014, 04:57 PM)Jessibelle1992 Wrote: [ -> ]Source? Apple thing is believable because almost every art person I know has an apple for the adobe suite and other creative programs. But PC sales dropping year after year sounds like utter bollocks.

This past quarter's results: http://www.gartner.com/newsroom/id/2647517

Keep in mind that this has been the case since 2011 when PC sales peaked. It's been downhill since which is why you're seeing manufacturers flail and fold. All but one manufacturer make slim margins and try to make it work with volume. But with the volume decreasing rapidly every quarter their business plan, which worked well enough in the 90s and 00s, isn't going to work any more.

IBM was smart and got out early. HP erroded the confidence corporate clients had in them by flip flopping on whether they were staying in the business. Dell lost enough of its value that it was bought back by its founder in a quixotic attempt to stop the company that bears his name from circling the toilet bowl. And now, Sony is bailing. These are not the actions of people in a healthy market.

(02-06-2014, 07:50 PM)Ath3na Wrote: [ -> ]More people are probably building their own

That would be an extremely optimistic way of looking at things. To believe that you have to believe that millions of people suddenly decided that they wanted to put their geek hat on and start buying and assembling components.

I disagree. I think people are leaving longer periods of time between upgrades; and an increasing number of people are spending their money on tablets and smartphones rather than PCs. Yes, tablets and smartphones are no alternative to people like you and me but for many if not most people they're good enough, even preferable. If all you do is email, edit documents, organise photos and check Facebook then the case for buying a PC isn't compelling in the wake of the iPhone, iPad and their clones.

(02-06-2014, 08:45 PM)SJTG1993 Wrote: [ -> ]"PC" doesn't mean a PC anymore, it means a laptop, generally it's either 10 year old piece of shit from comet, gamers or people that need a powerful computer that use desktops nowadays, everyone who buys a "PC" will buy a laptop

It means a whole computer shipped from a manufacturer like Apple, Dell, HP etc. Whether that's a desktop or a laptop makes no difference. But, yes, if you broke down the numbers most of the PCs will be laptops.

(02-06-2014, 11:46 PM)Frozenballz Wrote: [ -> ]yeah i heard about this a couple days ago. the ceo of razer posted on twitter "sony is about to sell their viao division.. should i buy it for razer? lolno, aint nobody got time for that" lol, was funny.

Yeah, it's a pitty the rest of the corporate tech world is humourless. Well, almost.

hem666

you tell em hoffie
christ this thread took off more than expected
No. Jessie's application thread has took off more than expected. Lol
6 pages of posts? Havent had that since donations thread and number counting game lel

Jessibelle1992

Nice post hoofed, mentioned a lot of things I forget about in my little PC gaming bubble.