What's the point of Mumble?
Views 7374
Replies 21
Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Ok as per the title, What is the point of Mumble? Is it for essential BF4 tactical comms only or is it a social tool?

It seems a few think I (or some of the players) talk too much in channel while playing and we're being muted apparently.

For clarity, the main reason for me for playing on PTG servers and joining the Clan was the fact that the banter on the Mumble server is so good. It builds a sense of community and makes it fun to play raising the experience to a whole new level.

It also makes the PTG team a much more effective fighting force sharing obvious comms about what's happening in game.

A comment was made that there's more than just one person muting or moving to another channel to avoid chat whether from me or anyone else. Is this the case? Am I being avoided when I play using Mumble? If so man up and tell me Big Grin

Or is it just one or two that feel negatively about the amount/content of chat on mumble.

Cheers

James

Thanks given by:
Me personally useualy change channels when the room is "busy" i can't deal with 20 people all talking at once Tongue I get headaches real easy since my problems.

I have muted people for having open mics or eating/couging/sneezing breathing down the mic constantly, but thats my choice.

Mumble is fun for banter and ingame coms, thats why we use it Tongue

[Image: baghghawgrtgdsd.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Never muted, never gonna.

"I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"
Thanks given by:
(01-11-2014, 08:26 PM)Miksta Wrote: Me personally useualy change channels when the room is "busy" i can't deal with 20 people all talking at once Tongue I get headaches real easy since my problems.

I have muted people for having open mics or eating/couging/sneezing breathing down the mic constantly, but thats my choice.

Mumble is fun for banter and ingame coms, thats why we use it Tongue

pretty much this. i dont mind banter, i just dont like having 239298293 people talking at the same time or open mics to hear people eating/coughing/sneezing/heavy breathing. oh and i mute people if i think they're twats, which is why i mute sam alot. <3

[Image: 5d1144bd1.png]
Thanks given by:
So that I understand correctly: because at least one person is exercising their right to locally filter the voices in a channel you're calling into question the use of voice communications?

Thanks given by:
LOL, no I'm not calling into question the use of voice, I was asking if its for social or tactical use or just a free for all Big Grin

I know I chat a lot in channel, I enjoy the banter with people.

If people don't want to hear it then that's their perogative to mute the channel. Just seems a bit rude to mute individuals and not let on.

Thanks given by:
Hi Dash,

I enjoy a laugh on mumble, but I am the type of player that depends a lot on in game sounds like footsteps. I simply can not concentrate at all when there is a totally random conversation going on in the background about something.

I muted both you and Elmo today. I did say I was going to for the next round. Both you and Elmo were having a conversation which is fair enough.

The past few days the guys have had some really great organised team play and destroyed the opposition. We all agreed playing that way was a lot of fun and we should do it more often.

I also agree with your post though and love having a laugh on chat, for me though I need a balance.

I am not being funny m8, my little fuzzy brain just can't cope with all the different audio inputs at once and sometimes I just want to play a little more seriously.

Thanks given by:
I find you talk too much.

I only have one on local mute and that's purely because he's near enough the same age as my kids and my pc room is away from the kids and that's how I want it to stay Big Grin

So yea, you talk too much but not in the singular sense but more in you're still quite new to the clan and out of the hundreds of members to come and go, your one of literally 3 that I can think of that's a fully fledged extrovert. I'm so used to new members being shy or reserved for a few weeks, or even months and seeing them build up their integration that by the time they are fully settled within the clan, I haven't noticed how loud they have become. Frozenballz and SJ are great examples. Side by side I bet you three talk as much or as loudly as each other. As time goes on I know I will get used to your personality so it's a non issue for me personally.

All I would say is carry on being yourself. Understand that not everyone is going to like you and your not going to like everyone. I learnt that one a long time ago Wink As long as your having fun and enjoying yourself, don't sweat over how others are taking you. Eventually everyone will get used to you. The good guys will always win out in the end Smile

[Image: 3031721.png?foreground=%23EEEEEE&backgro...=%23FF0700]
Thanks given by:
Well after hitting 50 and spending most of my life working with new people everyday integrating with people was never really a problem Big Grin

I spent 8 years as a driving instructor and trust me I can deal with the fact that not everyone will like me Big Grin

Personally it's the interaction with others on chat that makes the game, I know that its good to hear the team orders and if its a group that's taking the round seriously then I can do the same.

I don't take things personally in game, All I ask is that if people are having a problem or need to concentrate then just let me know. If you mute me please tell me first and I then don't have to spend 10 mins working out if I have a faulty mic Big Grin

Athena this was in no way a dig at you, just a general chat to see how things lay Big Grin

Loving it so far Big Grin

Thanks given by:
Glad your happy m8, was nothing personal.

Thanks given by:
i never mute anybody,if someone wants to talk all the time thats up to them,if its verbal diorrea,i dont hear it anyway,just carry on pal and dont let it worry u.

Thanks given by:
We have multiple channels for a reason, if people want a bit more serious gameplay with a couple of people then they can move, they want banter they can stay Smile

[Image: 76561198042289061.png]

"I see now the circumstances of ones birth is irrelevant, it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are."

CYKA BLYAT

(☞゚ヮ゚)☞ ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)
Thanks given by:
(01-11-2014, 10:09 PM)Chef_uk Wrote: Frozenballz and SJ are great examples. Side by side I bet you three talk as much or as loudly as each other.

you love it really.

[Image: 5d1144bd1.png]
Thanks given by:
(01-11-2014, 10:09 PM)Chef_uk Wrote: how loud they have become. Frozenballz and SJ are great examples.
yeah sj too too loud made me deaf . i need an sign language Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin

Thanks given by:
(01-11-2014, 09:15 PM)Dashik Wrote: LOL, no I'm not calling into question the use of voice, I was asking if its for social or tactical use or just a free for all Big Grin

All of the above. So long as everyone has the freedom to opt-out, I believe in freedom of expression in spaces open to public communication (even when that expression may be considered offensive).

I wouldn't worry about anyone getting their panties in a bunch over something you've said or for talking too much. With one exception, clan members are treated as if they were adults; if they don't like you being a Chatty Cathy then they can change channels or mute you locally: no harm done.

Thanks given by:
You do chat quite a lot and it sometimes gets a bit much when your tryin to play having people having conversations, but i know were the mute button is if it gets to much for me Smile

Thanks given by:
'FNG' here,

I would rather you did talk Dash, than didn't, mate. I am in the same boat, it comes with the territory, I guess - not everyone can deal with chatter and fair play to them, I am surprised you still let it bother you. Angel

The lads must have the right to mute or move channel, no question - it is what the functionality is there for, but muting or moving without a friendly mention can be perceived as rude, been there myself, especially when a new member is on receiving end.

On the other hand I get and support Ath3na's point about 'white noise' though, especially when you want to play tactically. Idea We have had some amazing gameplay with focus on tactical chatter - but it has its specific place - mutually agreed, training rounds, official scrims, comp circuit and so on.

Having random banter late at night does not bother me much and those lads I have spoken with seem like a top bunch, including Elmo, who is insane in a good way, bless him.

I've enjoyed every game and convo while rocking a PTG tag and that's a first for a grumpy git like me. Wink

"Be cool shorties" Tongue

Thanks given by:
Never Mind.

Thanks given by:
Think your mic is broke m8 or your Dalek to Human translator is playing up. Did you manage to get it fixed?

Thanks given by:
I think Mumble crashed last night and left me with an open mic. Restarting the client seemed to fix it I think Big Grin

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  mumble chilldog 8 4,855 09-04-2014, 11:36 AM
Last Post: BarkSpear
  mumble error on reinstall? 61sniper 7 3,294 08-03-2014, 03:47 AM
Last Post: k3rMz
  Basic Mumble Setup Guide SJTG1993 1 3,420 02-08-2014, 04:01 PM
Last Post: Chef_uk
  New Mumble Details SJTG1993 30 11,790 12-09-2013, 11:36 AM
Last Post: Miksta
  Mumble... Akoshus75 2 2,141 08-18-2013, 08:38 PM