My pc thread
Views 7193
Replies 23
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
A place for me to talk to myself about my pc stuff (feel free to comment).

So my new pc is running fine - despite the suspicion I have that it killed my old GTX 560. Probably insulted by its presence in the case.

So now I have to buy a graphics card
- Probably a R9 390. My preferred supplier only stocks Gigabyte but with all the bad reviews of gigabyte I've been reading lately I am probabyl going to opt for Sapphire who seem to make the longest cards in existence. However I should have clearance (about 3mm) - or I'll be pulling out a drive cage - if I can figure it out.

But now my monitor has gone full retard - with the volume menu popping up at random times to show me it's at zero. 

This would be fine if it wasn't centre fucking screen. So now I need a monitor too.

So my initial purchase has now turned out to be the first expensive domino in a series of dominoes that I'm hoping ends with the smooth purchases of GPU and monitor.

Comments / reviews on sapphire cards appreciated

Along with reviews and recommendations for monitors - 22 to 30 inches.

Will keep The Retard (newly dubbed current monitor) as side screen.

[Image: graphic.png]
Thanks given by:
I've had Gigabyte products before and they've been stellar, never owned sapphire so can't comment.

[Image: 76561198042289061.png]

"I see now the circumstances of ones birth is irrelevant, it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are."

CYKA BLYAT

(☞゚ヮ゚)☞ ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)
Thanks given by:
Apparently the combination of Gigabyte and r9 390 especially is a no go. But that's going on Tomshardware forum posts and stuff

Thanks given by:
(03-15-2016, 01:06 PM)HooT Wrote: Apparently the combination of Gigabyte and r9 390 especially is a no go. But that's going on Tomshardware forum posts and stuff
Ive only heard good stuff about sapphire i think, otherwise MSI has pretty sick cards usually.

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

Wololooo
Steam: PTG_St3v3oh
Origin: PTG_St3v3oh
Battlelog:   ^
K70 RGB MX Browns ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
[Image: index.php?action=dlattach;topic=19113.0;...5220;image]

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thanks given by:
Yeh - I'm relying on other opinions a lot here but I'm yet to find a negative review. 

So this will probably be the one I go for - now it's just a matter of when I pull my finger out and get it sorted.

Monitor-wise I'm tempted by a BenQ from our company suppler - going for about £120. 

http://www.x-kom.pl/p/72785-monitor-lcd-led-24-benq-gl2450hm-czarny.html

Thanks given by:
sapphire make realy good cards for ONLY AMD, their cooling tech. is realy good( vapor-x one of them), i have tri-x cooling tech on my r9 290 and no problems so far(allmost 2 years)

only con was lenght of that card, i had to cut some metal out from my case to fit that damn card

Thanks given by:
I should be ok - 4mm clearance..

Thanks given by:
Apparently OCZ don't make good PSU's. Based on the reviews I read before buying this pc that wasn't something that was particularly clear.

So now I need to buy a new PSU before it kills me new pc entirely.

Opting for the Corsair RM750i < the i is very important apparently as the non i version isn't anywhere near as good.  Pays to do your research.

So now I need to rethink GPU. I don't want to keep chucking money about the place on this fucking pc.

So I'm thinking about a R9 380 or equivalent to tide me over until the new GPU's come out in the summer.

I'll get a new one in 18 months or so once prices have dropped a touch. And the 380 can go in my boy's pc. (my old pc).

Thoughts on the above please.

- Is a 380 worth getting? if not what is at this price point? 

- Better alternative to the RM750i?

Thanks all!

Thanks given by:
Better wait till summer and wait for price drop on older gpu's

Thanks given by: HooT
Bearing in mind the £100 price difference, the R9 390 is hands down the best price/performance card that money can buy currently. However, there's people running a 270 at 1080p with most games on either high or very high and a solid 60fps, but if I were you i'd go for the best you can afford, without the upgrade option later. It means you spend more money overall, and £150 today and £250 tomorrow is £400 you could have spent the week after on a card better than both of them.

"I see now the circumstances of ones birth is irrelevant, it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are."

CYKA BLYAT

(☞゚ヮ゚)☞ ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)
Thanks given by:
Can I run it on a 620w PSU you reckon?

I see Tomshardware suggests a minimum 600w - leaving very little ceiling.

However I won't be overclocking it.

What you think?

Thanks given by:
Tbh the new 600w SFF power supplies are more than enough for something like a modern cpu/gtx 980, so 620 should be fine. It wouldn't leave much overhead for any form of second card or a custom water solution though if you eventually went that route.

CYKA BLYAT

(☞゚ヮ゚)☞ ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)
Thanks given by:
I'm not mate - I have kids. And we're saving for a third flat.

Thanks given by:
So it turns out Twitter is a place it pays to be nice!

https://steelseries.com/gaming-headsets/...ng-headset

Getting these from one of the Esports guys I follow on there.

Which was nice!

Thanks given by:
Damn, you lucky bastard.

Wololooo
Steam: PTG_St3v3oh
Origin: PTG_St3v3oh
Battlelog:   ^
K70 RGB MX Browns ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
[Image: index.php?action=dlattach;topic=19113.0;...5220;image]

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thanks given by:
Good job dude

[Image: 3031721.png?foreground=%23EEEEEE&backgro...=%23FF0700]
Thanks given by:
Nice one Hoot, I was so close to buying one but I heard the mic wasn't that great so opted to spend a bit more on the Sennheisers I have but the audio quality of the drivers is supposed to be on point.

Also, they're free! So who the fuck cares! Big Grin

CYKA BLYAT

(☞゚ヮ゚)☞ ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)
Thanks given by:
(04-15-2016, 03:11 PM)St3v3oh Wrote: Damn, you lucky bastard.

You follow him too Steveoh - It's James Banks

Thanks given by:
Have to switch away from the Seasonic 620 I was going to be buy as it doesn't have 2 8pin (or 6+2pin) PCI-E cables.

I need two 8pins for the Sapphire R9 390.

The only 390 I'll consider.

Thanks given by:
Actually I'm going for the MSI one. 

2 reasons:

- Only needs one 6pin and one 8pin pci-e so I have more options on PSU (something made by Seasonic)
- I am a sucker for a red head, and the red trim is rubbing me the right way.

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Another new PC thread. this time for my flat mate Johnboy82 3 2,051 12-03-2013, 07:06 PM
Last Post: SJTG1993
Smile fk my pc needs new stuff thread! hem666 19 10,787 06-09-2013, 02:42 PM
Last Post: hem666
  Another New thread. (PC building) Johnboy82 13 6,335 06-13-2012, 07:26 AM
Last Post: Frozenballz